Research & Innovation badges are awarded in recognition of hands-on, real world experience gained outside the classroom in the student’s field of study. Distributed by Research & Innovation to commemorate student involvement in research projects, these badges can be attached to a LinkedIn page, Facebook account, or wherever a prospective employer may see it.
Introduced in 2014, Research and Innovation at George Brown College rolled out a new digital badging program to recognize student participation and achievement in applied research. The inaugural Excellence in Research and Innovation digital badge was presented to John-Allan Ellingson, a recent graduate of the Mechanical Engineering program.
The program has now been extended to a set of 12 badges that are awarded for participation and achievement in applied research and also for completion of online learning modules in research and entrepreneurship. The modules employ multimedia learning content, appealing to a variety of learning styles and include video, written, and interactive activities.
- Log into Blackboard using this link: Access Blackboard.
- Click on Add Module at the top left of the Blackboard homepage and type “Student Research Competencies” into the search box.
- In the search results, click (More…) and then right click on Join Now and select ‘Open link in a new browser tab.’
- At the bottom right of this next page, click Submit and then Ok.
- Where the page reads, “Select a module to start learning” click on the Start Here title and then select the module you would like to complete.
- Work through the module, completing each of the tasks. When successfully completed you will be presented a link on the summary page to claim your badge.
- Sign into your Credly account or create a new account to claim your badge. Connect Credly to the supported social media platforms to show off your new badge to your network!